Quick-Fix: SCOM 2012 SP1 RU2 web console errors

More Scommy updates today as no good installation goes unpunished. Let’s dive right in.

Operations Manager Web Console HTTP Error 503

Either you’ve recently done an upgrade or you have done a fresh install, you log into the Web Console at OMA/OperationsManager and it all appears to be going well. Then you click on one of the actual monitoring views and bam big ol HTTP Error 503 in the face.

SCOM

Time to dig a little deeper, if you open up IIS Manager and navigate to Application Pools, you will notice that the “OperationsManagerMonitoringView” application is stopped. Simple I suppose, start it back up and… oh… hang on it stopped again. Well off to the event log for more clues.

SCOM

So in the event log we have a bunch of 5002 and 5203 events, but unfortunately they don’t tell us anything we don’t already know. Back to IIS Manager and navigate down through the folder structure to Sites > Default Web Site > MonitoringView and click “Logging” under the IIS heading to see if we can find anything valuable there. But before we even get to the logs, a new error has appeared!

SCOM

Looks like we may have just found our culprit, it’s going to be pretty hard to start the application if it can’t initialize the .NET 2.0 framework web.config. Open up the config located at %windir%Microsoft.NETFramework64v2.0.50727CONFIGweb.config, as a quick-fix to this problem all you need to do is remove the line: 

This will get the web console working, it will however also remove any updates applied to the Web Console by the RU2 patch. Hopefully in the near future I will have a fix that doesn’t require you to disable the RU2 patches, but for now some console is better than no console.

Errors Opening the Operations Manager /AppAdvisor Web Console

The problem we are addressing in this scenario is when browsing to the AppAdvisor web console on operations manager you are greeted with the message “An error has occured” as displayed below.

SCOM

Well it’s off to the event log again.

SCOM

The important take away from this message is the sentence “The request failed with HTTP status 401: Unauthorized” near the top of the event. Given my level of access to the server and application, I found the likelihood that it was a privilege issue to be… very… doubtful. After spending some time with google I found a post that hinted that there may be a Kerberos

The first hop being the IIS web server on the Operations Manager server and the second hop being the reporting services on the Data Warehouse SQL server. The suggested work around was to turn off NTLM and enable Forms authentication instead, which worked a treat for me.

To enable forms authentication for AppAdvisor open IIS Manager and navigate to Sites > Default Web Site > AppAdvisor > Authentication (found under the IIS heading). Once there disable ASP.NET impersonation and Windows authentication, then enable Anonymous authentication and Forms authentication.

SCOM

Back in the web browser refresh the AppAdvisor console and behold we now get a login screen and after entering our credentials we are in!

comments powered by Disqus