I did have an article planned today talking about .NET MVC and some learnings I had taken away from my first couple of weeks fiddling with the framework… then heart bleed happened. Like every other engineer who operates in the Linux space my week became consumed with “risk mitigation”. So anyway, .NET stuff coming in the future, in the meantime enjoy this explanation of the OpenSSL heartbleed bug as described by XKCD.
Short and sweet today, something on my laundry list for a long, long while now has been making all of my plugins and junk available on github. Well it’s finally going to get done! Over the next few days I’ll be putting everything up and once done I’ll update this post with links to acquire stuff via git, as part of this initiative I’ll also be attempting to put in some kind of project stability section of the documentation to help people understand the level of robustness they can expect from a given plugin.
I received an email a couple of weeks ago asking for a Nagios compatible version of my vCenter locator script. After I realised what a tragedy the one I had been running in my own environment was I cleaned it up a bit and have decided to release it so people can do as they please with it. The current version will look up your ESX servers in AD using a naming pattern that you define (OpenLDAP may also work though I haven’t tested it) and then connect to those ESX servers to look for the vCenter server it is executing on.
I was on PowerShell training again this week and in the interest of making my previous efforts a thing, I have decided to this time create the grand old game of Pong. Much like my last effort it’s hardly a paragon of gaming perfection but it was a fun way to abuse the language and make it do a thing it really shouldn’t be doing. I wanted to actually get more fancy with this one and maybe try to hook OGL or DX some how but I really only had a spare couple of hours to devote to this nonsense so I ended up just using Windows Forms again… though I suppose that is still suitable if we are talking about using technology inappropriately.
The title pretty much says it all! Today I’ll be releasing the beta for Netapp C-Mode monitoring and I hate to admit it’s not my best work… there are a large number of ways it could be improved but my time constraints for getting this particular job done were more narrow than I would have otherwise liked. This was compounded by having to wrestle with a number of bugs or strange quirks with Netapp Ontapi which caused some rather bizarre behaviour.
Well that break was certainly longer than intended but it sure has been busy. If you’re a regular visitor you might notice I’ve made a few changes around here that will hopefully improve the user experience. I’ve made the following changes: Increased width of the content pane Removed default background Increased font size Replaced comment system Various other background improvements Moving to Disqus is really something I should have done a long time ago but laziness compelled me.
SteamOS! it’s (sort of) here! I’m a little bit late getting this guide out but better late than never! Right? Anyway before I get stuck into this I am going to be assuming a couple of basic things: You already knows how to use VirtualBox, or are sufficiently familiar with virtualization to work it out. You know how to create an ISO file with something like IsoCreator. You have downloaded SteamOSInstaller.
Hi everyone! A few posts back I mentioned that I was working on a monitoring script for NetApp cluster mode filers and I thought today I would share a small snippet of the stable code I have completed so far. This particular release will allow you to monitor volumes, snapshots and aggregates. For those components you can monitor the % of space used, amount of space remaining, the % of inodes used, the number of inodes remaining and the state of the volume/aggregate.
So contrary to my previous post, this article is not SCOM related… quite the opposite actually. If you’ve been interested at all in doing some APM monitoring of web applications with Nagios you’ve probably heard of check_webinject, you may also have heard of some alternative that this blog does a great job of summarizing. If you have looked in to webinject however you may have noticed that information is a little bit schizophrenic, with different sites offering different explanations on how it’s used.
Unfortunately there is no content of value to be found here today. In the industry I work in this is the busy time of the year which means far more of the mundane and far less of the interesting. Unless general sys admin stuff like unlocking files and making basic configuration changes tickles your fancy… in which case I am living the dream. Next update should be significantly more interesting, I’m expecting it will be SCOM related but we’ll see which way the wind blows.